| THE MISSION BUNGALOW
The term ‘bungalow’ traces its origin to Bengal in eastern India, developing from a local hut called a bangala, (Hindi and Marathi bangla), a small but comfortable dwelling built with a thatched roof and overhanging eaves to provide shade and shelter to the single-storied structure from the tropical sun and monsoon winds and rain.
C-30.67.006 : "Palm wine bar in Udipi." date: 01.01.1898, late : 31.10.1906 (example of local hut)
From the 18th century, during colonial rule in India, the British adapted this residential type and the word became anglicised as Bungalow. The British used the bungalows for housing colonial officers and administrators and constructed them primarily in urban areas, compounds outside Indian cities, in army cantonments and in summer retreats in hill-stations.
C-30.59.006 : "Sanatorium in Kunnur, India." 1902 (hill station bungalow)
C-30.81.015 : "Kotageri, Nilgiris." date early : 01.01.1929 (hill station)
C-30.91.019 : "View Hill, holiday house for the Basel Mission in Kotageri." early : 01.01.1929
The army tent, the English cottage and the Persian verandah also inspired the configuration of these ‘English’ bungalows, with each architectural element being refined in later decades.
C-30.59.012 : "Kotageri: house with veranda." date early : 01.01.1896, date late : 31.01.1909
C-30.60.001 : Rev. Peter's travelling tent in Kannadiparambu. date early : 01.01.1885
The Colonial Bungalow with its compound is thus the basic residential unit of the colonial urban settlement. According to the scholar Anthony King, this concept was “Originally developed in India, the concept of the Bungalow was diffused, in the late 18th century, to Africa and other parts of the far east, becoming the model form of residence for members of the European Colonial Community in the country of Colonisation”.
THE MISSION BUNGALOW | Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
KANNUR OR CANNANORE | Pages: 1 2 3 4 5